February 2015 Board Meeting Minutes

Springfield Road Runners Club Board Meeting Minutes

February 10, 2015

Location: UCB (617 Bruns Lane)
Members in attendance: Bryan Glass, Brian Lee, Dave Drennan, Teri Taylor, Tracy Dowell, Nick Fogleman, Lance Cull, Christine Feller, Heather Glessner
Members absent: Emily Bernardes

Call to order: 5:35 pm by Bryan

Immediate Business

  • New Board Representatives
    • Lance Cull for Race and Equipment Coordinator
    • Heather Glessner for Secretary
    • Christine Feller to serve as a Board Representative at Large. This position will not have voting rights.
      • Motion made by Bryan to approve. Second by Dave. All in favor.
    • Treasurer’s Report (Teri)
      • Account totals
        • SRRC – $50,071.93
        • LPHM – $24,449.11
        • Total – $74,520.14 + pending $2950 deposit = $77,470.14
      • Account signers
        • Bylaws note signing checks as part of the position description for President, Vice President and Treasurer. Under the Finances section of the bylaws, it states the authorized signers are the President, Past President and Treasurer. Therefore, bylaws are not consistent.
        • Motion made by Teri for acting authorized signers to include President, Past President, and Treasurer. Second by Dave. All in favor.
          • Amendment to be made to the bylaws at year end to achieve consistency
          • Change made at bank to update signers on the account for the current officers (Bryan, Dave, and Teri)
        • Secretary’s Report (Emily/Heather)
          • October meeting minutes presented. Motion by Dave to approve. Second by Bryan. All in favor.
        • Membership Report (Nick)
          • 384 total members
            • 200 Family
            • 152 Adult
            • 7 Student
            • 25 Hall of fame

Old Business

  • Club Races
    • Race Directors
      • LPHM, 4/4/15 (Brian Reardon)
        • Race will be the half marathon regional championship for the RRCA
        • Must include RRCA logo
      • WDF, 7/11/15 (Teri Taylor and Heather Glessner)
        • Nothing to report at this time
        • Must include RRCA logo
      • State Fair Parade Run, 8/13/15 (Lance Cull)
        • Nothing to report at this time
      • Abe’s Amble, 8/23/15 (Emily Bernardes)
        • Not present
      • Frostbite Festival, 12/6/15 (Dave Drennan)
        • Nothing to report at this time
      • Communication with Springfield District 186
        • Bryan encouraged race directors to contact the communications department of District 186 two months prior to their event via email (media@sps186.org) to request that an email be sent to all district employees regarding the race. This is a way to advertise the race and further involve the community
          • Tracy said she can also provide contact for the Chatham school district

New Business

  • High School Awards Recognition
    • Board gave $900 and the Springfield Running Center supplemented $1100 for a total contribution of $2000
    • Motion was made by Bryan for 1) Bryan to contact Derek Dexheimer to facilitate greater communication between the Board and the Awards Recognition Committee and 2) Reimburse Springfield Running Center their $1100 contribution. Second by Dave. All voting in favor. (Tracy abstained)
    • Motion was made by Dave for the Board to continue to support the High School Awards Recognition with $2000 annually. Second by Tracy. All in favor.
  • Post Race Party
    • 180 in attendance
    • $1360 in registration fees received
    • Recommendation made for the date to be moved to the week before the Super Bowl (and not a holiday weekend) to encourage attendance
    • Hilton is being considered for the location again
  • Race Directors Meeting
    • Lance will spearhead and determine a date
    • Coz’s suggested as location
  • RRCA Conference April 24-26
    • Location: Des Moines, Iowa
    • Ideally 3 to 4 people would attend
    • Bryan is going and has two hotel rooms reserved
      • Please let Bryan know if you are interested in attending
    • Club will pay trip-related expenses
      • Estimated cost for 3 people to attend = $3000
    • Point and Participation Series Changes
      • Corrected race dates for magnets:
        • Scholastic Challenge 5K – June 27, 2015
        • Quad Cities Marathon/Half – September 27, 2015
        • Springfield Marathon – October 11, 2015
          • Motion made by Dave to order 500 corrected magnets. Second by Lance. All in favor. Tracy will take care of.
          • Magnets to be available for the LPHM expo
        • Participation Series
          • 2014 point levels:
            • Bronze: 100 – 139 (32 awardees)
            • Silver: 140 – 179 (12 awardees)
            • Gold: 180+ (4 awardees)
          • 3 races added and 1 removed – more points available in 2015
          • Proposed changes:
            • Bronze: 125 – 149
            • Silver: 150 – 189
            • Gold: 190+
          • Points Series
            • 2014 regulations: Best of 3 races, must run 2 races
            • Proposed change: Best of 3 races, must run 3 races
            • Must volunteer at 2 races
              • Exception:
                • <14 and 15-19 age groups do not need to volunteer and need only to participate in 2 races
                • Abe’s Army leadership does not fulfill volunteer status
              • Motion made by Dave to implement these changes. Second by Teri. All in favor.
            • SRRC Scholarship
              • $3000 allotted for scholarships
              • Previously, 5 scholarships given in various amounts
              • Plan going forward: 3 $1000 scholarships
              • Change presentation of scholarships from Scholastic Challenge 5K to a summer Club social in an effort to increase the involvement of award winners, their families, and club members
            • Upcoming Socials
              • Tentative plan for volunteer/halfwits party on April 8, 2015
            • March Newsletter
              • To include:
                • President’s letter
                  • Outlook
                  • Post race party recap
                • Treasurer’s report
                • Pictures from post race party awards
                • Board member bios
                • Link to LMG 8K trail run registration?
                • Send anything to be included to Ann within the next two weeks
              • Technology update
                • Motion was made by Dave for $1000 to be available to purchase a laptop/software. Second by Bryan. All in favor.
              • Porta potty update
                • IDOT porta potty needs ordered. Dave will handle
                • Discussion was had regarding asking the Springfield Bike Club to split cost
                • Discussion was had regarding signage near potties to identify Club sponsorship
              • Equipment Rental
                • Renters are charged $350 = $250 deposit + $100 fee (deposit returned)
                  • Invoice needs to be designed to ensure we receive the deposit and not just the $100 rental fee
                • Rental fee/deposit waived for the 5 Club races
                • Board members in agreement that the rental fee/deposit may be waived upon request for special circumstances
              • 2015 Outlook
                • Bryan to discuss 2015 budget with Dave and Teri
                • Website is being managed by Neil Glessner
                • Club apparel: Brian is working on this and plan is to have available at LPHM expo
                • Tentative future meeting dates:
                  • March 10, April 21, May 19, June 9, July 14, August 11, September 8, October 13, November 10, and December 15
                    •  June/July or July/August meetings may be done via email communication due to busy time of year

Meeting adjourned: Motion by Dave. Second by Brian. 7:10 pm

Speak Your Mind

*

Current day month ye@r *